Monday, November 7, 2016

If Opportunity Knocks Would it Find You With Your Pants Down

"One secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes." - Benjamin Disraeli

I will confess. Opportunity has knocked several times and has found me very unprepared. As I attempt to branch out, I'm discovering there's still a lot about the industry that I just don't know. I'm doing my best to learn as much as possible as fast as I can.

This year, I made a decision to invest in my craft. I am spending as much of my meager wages as I can spare to promote my novel, network and actually take a class or five on the craft of writing. I'm trying new things. Stepping off the ledge as they say and going for it. I did my first Twitter interview today. I am grateful to Sezoni Whitfield for the opportunity and to Toya Nicole for setting it all up. I felt like a klutz but practice makes perfect. Try and fail. Get up. Try again until you get it right.


Organization. Getting one's act together. Being still while in a constant state of readiness. These things have been on my mind quite a bit. Being prepared is a lot of work. Opportunities come and go. Opportunities bear fruit when the person it visits is ready to receive it. It can be seen as a spiritual thing or a practical and/or logical fact. I, like most humans, feel awkward as I move through uncharted territory. Interviews online and on the phone. Being ready with an elevator speech. Finding time to write when there is no time. Being able to work when the world is chaos. Still working on this. 







No comments:

Post a Comment